Question : Problem: Wireless Card Disconnects While Downloading Windows Updates and Other Software

The D600 Does the following:

1.  when working on internet, with a wireless connection the connection works fine.
2.  there is no network, and the connection is facilitated by a Dlink DI634 router enabled for DHCP
3.  The client is configured for DHCP and obtains all IP and DNS automatically
4.  The IP address and DNS connections are correct in IP config
5.  There is another client configured the exact same way, with the same settings, but does not have the problem.
6.  There is no firewall running (MS security and windows firewall is turned off)

This is about it.  The tough part is that it works fine until I try to download updates from MS, or software programs that i have purchased.  when surfing, there is never a disconnect.  let me know if there is  anyone out there with some input.

Answer : Problem: Wireless Card Disconnects While Downloading Windows Updates and Other Software

Yeah... read this whole message before taking any of these steps.

Uninstall the Dell/IntelPro 2100 connection utility in Add/Remove Programs, then in Device Manager right-click the 2100 card under Network Adapters and choose Uninstall (this step actually uninstalls the driver[s]).

When that's done go to C:\Dell\Drivers\R105328 and run the setup.exe or install.exe program in that folder.

If you don't have that folder, go to
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R105328&osl=en&deviceid=4155&fileid=135925
and download the newest (07/27/2005) driver/utility package for that card in Dells before starting this whole process.

You might want the manual too, while you're there - that's at http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R105331&fileid=135983

If that doesn't clear it up you can switch it to use the windows zero configuration service instead of the Intel utility, but quite often the 'clean' reinstall does help intermittent connectivity problems.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us