Question : Problem: HP USB Multimedia Keyboard will not work "pre" Windows

I have an HP USB Multimedia Keyboard that just will not work on "DOS" mode (after a reboot but BEFORE Windows XP begins to load)

Works fine in Windows....no problems there...but I wanted to perform a system restore...and I can't because the keyboard won't work.

Have I any options?  

Answer : Problem: HP USB Multimedia Keyboard will not work "pre" Windows

Most likely this is because you don't have USB keyboard PS/2 emulation support enabled in your BIOS.  DOS can't directly use a USB keyboard, so your BIOS has to emulate it as a PS2 (round connector) keyboard in order for it to work.

Getting into your BIOS settings involves pressing a certain key during the initial boot of your machine.  It varies which key, but common keys are the Delete key or F2.  Look for a "press Delete to enter BIOS settings" prompt when the computer boots up, or something similar.  Continuously press that key until you get into your BIOS settings.  If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

If you manage to get into your BIOS settings, look for USB keyboard emulation support and enable it.  Hunting it down might be difficult, but most likely it will be there in one form or another.  Once you've found it, enable it, save your settings, and exit and hopefully you will have keyboard support in DOS.

Good luck!  Let me know if you have any more questions.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us