Question : Problem: Windows not recognising second keyboard or emulated keyboard

I have a media center system with wireless mouse & keyboard.  I had acquired a second (USB wireless) mouse & keyboard, but the basic keys on the keyboard did not work.  The mouse, and special function keys on the keyboard, both worked fine.  

I also borrowed a wired USB keyboard to try, and the same happened - special keys worked but none of the basic keys.

I then found that the keyboard emulation on my Saitek gamepad which previously worked had also ceased working.  The gamepad still works fine, as does it emulating the mouse, but its keyboard emulation no longer works.  I've updated the drivers and for it and still have the same problem.

The existing keyboard continued to work throughout.

Because of all the different (real and virtual) keyboards that show the same problem I think it must be something in Windows that is blocking anything else from making standard keystrokes.  I've used the second keyboard OK in the BIOS setup, so it's only when Windows starts that it stops working.  As the gamepad keyboard emulation used to work I am inclined to suspect that it is something in Windows that has changed - could it be as a result of SP3?  Certainly the upgrade to SP3 was since the last time I'd used the gamepad.

Answer : Problem: Windows not recognising second keyboard or emulated keyboard

Try removing all entries under keyboards in device manager and rebooting. Anything it finds will reinstall and should work normally.

Chris B
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us