Question : Problem: How to Backup large amounts of data over 10MB dedicated connection

I have approximately 300GB of data that resides in a Co Location facility.  We are outgrowing our tape solution and I am looking into what options are available for backup.  Option 1 is an autoloader at the CoLocation facility.  This would cover the storage needs, but causes an issue with getting the data offsite as we need to travel to the facility to remove the data (it is un-manned).  Option 2 is to install a NAS device at our corporate office to send a back up file to.  We have a dedicated 10MB connection between the two locations.  We are currently doing this type of backup (to a dedicated server here) for incremental through the week and have no issue with that.  My big concern is the weekly full backup over the WAN and that job being complete by open of business Monday morning.  I can not have the backup job transfer killing my bandwidth between the 2 facilities  during normal work hours, so it needs to be complete prior to 7AM Monday morning.

Answer : Problem: How to Backup large amounts of data over 10MB dedicated connection

Not going to happen.

I would suggest incrementals overnight over the line, and a monthly full backup to a local NAS wihch you can pull the drives to rotate off site. SATA  Hard drives are cheap, and more reliable than tape, if you're gentle with them.  

You could pick up 12 500GB drives, and have a full backup every month, then buy an extra 1 a year for permanent archive. This wil still be cheaper than an autoloader.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us