Question : Problem: How to configure firewall - DHCP, Proxy, etc

I am configuring a firewall using IPCop and a dedicated PC.
I have a satellite internet connection. This is connected to a Netgear WPN824 v2 wireless router.
I had previously had the PC all set to "optain IP address automatically" and "obtain DNS address auto.". The modem assigned itself as 192.168.0.1 and the router as 192.168.0.2  Other PC were numbered after that.
Now I have inserted the IPCop PC in the middle. The IPCop machine seems to find its way to the internet. On the LAN side of IPCop, the green or blue side as they call it, I have assigned the number 192.168.2.0   Because I want to keep track of each user's downloads, I believe I need to assign IP addresses to all the PCs.
How should I configure the router and the PCs?
Assign each a number such as 192.168.2.201 ?
Should I set IPCop up as a proxy server?
Should I assign a DNS server such as 66.82.4.8 ?
Thanks

Answer : Problem: How to configure firewall - DHCP, Proxy, etc

Not familiar with IPcop but the best way to do this is as follows:

(1) Connect modem to IPcop red side and put the modem into Ethernet bridge mode. You will need to configure the WAN side of IPcop to have the IP settings from your Internet service provider if it is not able to pick them up automatically. Turn off the IPcop DHCP server and set static IP addresses on your workstations using a unique IP range... (for example, 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.*). IPcop is a firewall and will do it's own routing. Put your Netgear router/AP on a fixed IP within the correct subnet and connect it to your LAN using one of it's LAN ports... NOT THE INTERNET PORT. This gives you access to full IPcop functionality and the Netgear becomes a wireless access point.

(2) Alternatively, connect the IPcop red zone to the modem and allow it to pick up a dynamic IP address from the modem. Assign static IPs to your workstations and the Netgear. Again, connect the Netgear using a LAN port NOT THE INTERNET PORT. In this config, the IPcop is shielded by the modem and you will not have access to full functionality. Your network is shielded by both the modem and the IPcop. The Netgear becomes a wireless access point.

In both configs, give the IPcop the external DNS server addresses and use it as a DNS proxy. Using it as a web proxy is up to yourself entirely.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us