Question : Problem: In Ghost 10.0, can't complete consolidation of recovery points.  How can I resolve?

I've got Ghost 10.0 (recently reinstalled) with Windows XP on a Dell PC. Went in to Optimize Recovery Points (since destination for backups was full). Somehow, I've got only one recovery point set containing more than a year's range of incremental recovery points. When I select even a single recovery point within the set to delete, it fails.  Error messages: Error EC8F17D8: Cannot complete consolidation of incremental recovery points. Error EC8F0422: Cannot consolidate the incremental recovery points. Error E0BB0145: An attempt to collapse an incremental range failed. Error EA390719: Target disk full.
How can I resolve this? (All I can think of is to delete recovery points within Windows XP rather than Ghost to get disk space to make a new backup, but would that make what's left of the previous set useless?)

Answer : Problem: In Ghost 10.0, can't complete consolidation of recovery points.  How can I resolve?

You didn't say how often you are taking incremental recovery points, but if you have/had a year's worth, my guess is either 52 or 365 recovery points which is an enormous amount of them.

When I have had problems with recovery points after a Ghost 10 or 12 error, I have often found that the Ghost catalogue is confused.  To correct that I deleted the definition in Ghost, then manually deleted all the files in the Ghost folder.  After that, I defined a NEW backup scheme with a new name of the files (I usually added the letter to the end of the default name of the recovery point names).  I also told Ghost to put them in a different folder name, such as g:\GhostBackup2\...  That basically allows me to start over.

My other suggestion is to limit the number of recovery points to once a day for incrementals, then once a week for full base backup, and limit base to xx weeks (such as 4 or 6).  That way you have the last 6 weeks available.

Another technique I use is to limit the size of the backup files to fit on a DVD (4300mb) so Ghost splits them into 4300 byte chunks.  That way I can take copy of the base backups from my external usb2 hard drive and burn them to DVD and then store the DVD offsite.

Have you ever run the Ghost "verify" function to see if your recovery points are ok?  And have you ever booted from the Ghost recovery CD and restored a file or folder from a date in the past?  you should do both of these tests.

I'm not sure if this exactly answers your question, but should give you some ideas on how to clean up after Ghost error failure.  

Does this help?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us