Question : Problem: Terminal Services install on server 2003 with Outlook 2000, problem with attachments

I had been running terminal services on server 2000 with office 2000 without any office related issues.  I need to move the Terminal Services to 2003 and I followed the same steps as on the 2000 server yet I'm having some problems.  First, I installed office 2000 and configured outlook to work with exchange.  I then installed terminal services (with reduced security for older applications hoping that would fix this).  

After the reboot the admin has no problem opening attachments, but the user experience goes like this:

Double click the attachment (word or excel)
The windows installer opens briefly (this does not happen on the admin account)
Word / excel launches but is empty
Behind the application is the message "The system cannot find the file specified"

NOW, if I click ok and open the attachment again with the blank word application open, the document will display.

If I save the attachment to the desktop and double click I have the same result as when I try to open it from the attachment, a blank application window.  If the application window is open and I double click the file it opens, also if I use file open it opens.

I have searched past comments on this topic without any resolution; everything I have found has failed.

Answer : Problem: Terminal Services install on server 2003 with Outlook 2000, problem with attachments

I solved this myself by adding the user to the local administrators group temporaraly.  I then ran outlook and the windows installer did some more work.  Opening attachments from then on worked fine.  I then removed the user from local admins and the power users and everything is continuing to work fine.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us