Question : Problem: Use Telnet instead of Hyperterminal?

I have been faced with an intiresting challenge recently and I thought I would throw it to the experts.  My company uses an IDCS 500 phone system, and I have been able to use a computer connected via null modem cable to the SMDR port.  Through this connection I am able to use Hyperterminal to capture data (outgoing call activity) and through an option in Hyperterminal I am able export the data to txt file.  My question is how do I script this.  It appears that the txt file does not get  written until the operation has been stopped.

Is there a way to just telnet into the phone system and shoot the activity to file every 8 hours??  I am very unfamiliar with Telnet capabilities.  I have been able to use telnet to connect via the internet to domain names to see if ports have been blocked, but have not the slitest clue how to connect via serial in a telnet session.  What do you think?

Answer : Problem: Use Telnet instead of Hyperterminal?

You can't connect to a serial port via telnet unless you have an external console device.  Does the iDCS 500 have release 2 of the software?  If so, it should have a built in ethernet port, which you could use to do your management.  See this link:  http://www.telephonecentral.com/custom.aspx?id=47

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us