Question : Problem: Maintenance Windows and Reboots

Hello Everyone,

Basically I have relatively new SCCM 2007 setup. I am working on getting the software updates working and for the most part I think I got it down. I created a deployment template and applied it to a certain collection. This collection has a maintenance window set for once a week between the hours of 10:00pm - 6:00am. Now I created a deployment package for this collection with current windows xp critical updates. In the settings of this package I have defined a deadline to install the packages which reflects a date which has already come and gone. I do not have the option checked to "Ignore maintenance windows and install immediately at deadline". On the Restart Settings tab I do not have the option checked to "Allow system restart outside of maintenance windows" My problem seems to be that the machines are still rebooting for some reason. This would be a minor inconvenience but the machines in this collection have a program called Deep Freeze installed on them and this keeps the machines in a 'Frozen State" (just like the windows shared toolkit, but with more options). It appears the machines are getting updates outside of the maintenance window and rebooting, but Deep Freeze removes the changes and the cycle begins all over again. These machines are suppose to wake up (using wake on lan) during the collection maintenance window thawed and apply the updates or at least this is how I want them to work.

There is an option under the "Restart Settings" tab to suppress the system restart on workstations but wouldn't that also mean that during the maintenance window the machines would not reboot after the update is applied? If I dont set a deadline for the updates to install would they still install during the maintenance window?

Thank you all for help!!

Thank you all in advance,
-Michael Smolens
Network Admin
Ocean County Library

Answer : Problem: Maintenance Windows and Reboots

Are the patches causing the reboots. SCCM will only deliver the package and start the program. The program or in your case the patches take over

Just a thought.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us