Question : Problem: running cat5 in ceiling: Best Practices

I've done many cable runs in the past for companies. However this one is different. I need to run about 150ft of cat5 cable inside a office that has drop down ceiling. The only problem is this is a very prestigous company and during the 150ft run I will encounter dozens and dozens of office cubicles.

With that being said my question is this:
Whats the best way to run 150ft cable when im dealing with office cubicles in the way? I have a greenlee cable pole that extends 20ft but it seems odd to take a ceiling tile off every 20 feet to grab my wire. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

Answer : Problem: running cat5 in ceiling: Best Practices

Ideally, there would be a cable pathway already installed for you.  This may be in the form of raceway or conduit.  If you can, you could install some for the client - however they may balk at the cost - or it might be outside the scope of the project.

That being said, best practice is to stick to walls or at least hallways and then branch out with "feeders" as you need to.  Are you running cabling to the cubes or just across them?  

I think as long as you use some kind of cabling support - staying away from attaching to ceiling tile stringers, strapping to conduit or other supports - installing your own j-hooks or pathway you're fine - obviously avoid lighting and high voltage power.

For the ultimate guidance on best practice - pick up the Telecommunications Distribution Methods Manual from Bicsi at http://www.bicsi.org/Content/Index.aspx?File=tdmpubs.htm
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us