Question : Problem: In HP G85: How do I scan a text multipage docs into a readable, relatively small file?

I'm trying to use the HP OfficeJet to scan multi-page text documents to send as image files in soft copy. I don't need OCR. I'm using the HP Director software. When I select "Scan Picture," it all works, but the files get very big. In the settings, I dropped the resolution on "mixed doc" all the way down to 200 dpi and 1 bit (black and white) scan. This results in a .tif file and a 3 page document is still 3-4 MB. Below 200 dpi, the document gets less readable.

I tried bringing the .tif into Photoshop and saving it as a .png. It worked great resulting in a very readable 60k file. But it only saves the first page of the document (I think this is a characteristic of .png). But the scale seems right (i.e. ~60-100k per page).

In searching, it seems an early version of the g85 s/w once support scanning to PDF, but no longer. I'm willing to buy something, if necessary, but this is not a typical task, so I'm not willing to pay much. And this seems an obvious requirement!  Thanks.

Answer : Problem: In HP G85: How do I scan a text multipage docs into a readable, relatively small file?

>> Unless I'm still missing your point (apologies if I am),

Nope, it appears I missed yours, so apologies there :)

>> this takes us back to our exchange earlier: is it worth getting the controller s/w for some other HP scanner and
>> seeing if it would work with g85?

Set a Restore Point first, but sure...why not.  We use a Scanjet 5550C here.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us