Question : Problem: Cisco 2514 & AT&T Road Runner

Hi,
     I have acquired a used Cisco 2514 dual ethernet router. It is running IOS 11.3T(3). I want to configure it for use on my home LAN that is connected to AT&T Road Runner Service. I currently have the LAN attached to the internet through a gateway (2 ethernet cards) PC running Sygate. One card is connected to the cable modem, and is configured for DHCP (required by AT&T Road Runner). The other has a static address of 10.0.0.1 PC's on the LAN have 10.0.0.X address and through NAT get to the internet. I obviously want to replace this machine with the Cisco 2514.
     I really need a config that will allow the Cisco router to have the same functionality as the gateway does now. The biggest question I have is how to set the cable modem ethernet port to use DHCP, instead of assigning it a static address. I also would like to statically assign the MAC address of this port, so that I don't have to call AT&T Road Runner and change it. I'm pretty sure I can set up the NAT pool, but a sample config would be great. Any help you all could give to relative newbie, would be much appreciated.

:) David

Answer : Problem: Cisco 2514 & AT&T Road Runner

These few basic commands will get you going. You can look at your PC (winipcfg) and see what IP address you have along with the subnet mask. Use that same address/mask until it chokes. I've only had three different IP addresses in two years of using a cable modem. Once it breaks, call the cable folks and tell them you got a new PC and give them the new MAC address...
I don't think you can be a DHCP client with 11.3 IOS. You would have to upgrade..

interface ethernet 0
 no shutdown
 ip address

ip nat outside
!
interface ethernet 1
 no shutdown
 description inside interface
 ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
 ip nat inside
!
ip nat inside source list 1 interface eth 0 overload