Question : Problem: How to upgrade an Intel hardware RAID 1 to RAID 5 due to drive space issues

We have an Intel based server (S2500VB2) with the Intel onboard RAID controller in a RAID 1 array.  The Small Business Server 2003 uses mostly all the features including Exchange and is starting to run out of space, 5GB left.  I am figuring to increase space and performance perhaps we should go to RAID 5 using 5 drives since the hotswap SCSI cage is already in place, the existing drives are already hot swap.

How do I perform an upgrade, can I just do a full backup using Veritas and Restore?  Or do I add one of the new drives and copy the data?  I just have no idea how to even begin this?  

Answer : Problem: How to upgrade an Intel hardware RAID 1 to RAID 5 due to drive space issues

Hi there, there is no quick way to utilise the existing Raid 1 Mirror and change it to a Raid 5 array without backing up all of your data, creating a new array using the intel software, reinstalling SBS and then restoring your data from backup.
However - I would recommend that you keep the original RAID 1 array and add 3 new hard disks to the server and create a new separate Raid 5 array without touching the Operating System drives. When this new RAID 5 array is up and running, you only need to boot to your original and untouched SBS install and creating a new Virtual Partition with the Disk Management option of Windows. You can call this partition somthing like 'Data Partition' if you need and then you can move all of your relevant Data files, network shares and even the Exchange Database folders over to this new partition whilst leaving all of the operating system files intact.

This would be a much more recommended solution as it would provide complete fault tolerance for the O/S in a Mirrored configuration and fault tolerance and extra disk space for the Data on the Raid 5 (Striping with Parity) partition.

hope this helps!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us