Question : Problem: VNC or RDP on virtual private server - high screen resolution required

Hello,

I'm considering renting a virtual private server to run an application remotely, however I had a question regarding screen resolutions.

I'll be logging into the server using VNC or RDP, but I was wondering if there are any solutions that will let me keep a large screen resolution (currently using 3 monitors displaying 4800x1200)? Are any VNC/RDP solutions better than others as I imgaine this will probably require reasonably high transfer between the server and client.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Cheers,
alex

Answer : Problem: VNC or RDP on virtual private server - high screen resolution required

In my experience, RDP will conform to the resolution of your system. My servers run at 1024/768 at the console but set the resolution to 1680/1050 when I log in from my desktop. Using Ultramon in a multi monitor environment it will remember which window it was assigned to last and open in that resolution on that monitor. I have not been able to "stretch" it over all monitors.

VNC retains the hosts resolution and is slower. Any attempt at "scaling" produces inferior results.

RDP would be your best solution as it uses console redirection and windows management calls rather than screen paints. You can connect across a slow connection and achieve near local response for application use. (except for web browsing or image viewing). You can also map printers and drives if needed and print to your local printers all within the RDP connection.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us