Question : Problem: Remote Desktop Connection with or without VPN gateway

I have two offices currently connected by a Gateway to Gateway VPN connection via two Linksys  RV042 endpoints.  

That works great, however, we are introducing a new app that has it's shared database stored at the server which is at the home office.  Consequently, this app runs painfully slow on machines at the remote office.  

Getting a larger upstream at the server office is out of the question so our only option at this point seems to be Remote Desktop Connections.  (Yes we have machines to spare at the home office and TS is out of the question)

My question is, should I just ditch the VPN gateways all together and just use the remote workplace interface through my SBS 2003 box or should/could I somehow offload these Remote Desktop connections so they would just connect peer to peer through the gateway?  I would like to keep the SBS box out of this if I can.

Any ideas?

Answer : Problem: Remote Desktop Connection with or without VPN gateway

Sorry time is limited here, it may be the problem, try disabling that port forward and do some tests, although I don't see why it should be a problem. Can you connect to your server using RDC by entering its name via the VPN. Test this after disabling the 3389 port forward. If you can connect remote desktop to the server over the VPN then I am pretty certain the problem lies with software firewall settings on the workstations. They will need to allow access from port 3389 not only from their local subnet but also from the subnet of the remote network (if it is different).
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us