Question : Problem: Cisco SDM

I have a question about the Security Device Manager (SDM). I have a remote router with an private IP address and I need to configure a VPN conection from my site (the central site) to the remote router site. How am I going to connect to the remote router through my DSL so that I can use SDM to configure the router? If I specify the private IP address of the remote router to connect in SDM, it will not work as it goes through my ISP and I am sure that they are using NAT/PAT. Is there workaround? or I need to have that router to be shipped to me and I can configure it locally with SDM? Thanks

PS. I looked at the FAQs on the Cisco site and it did not say anything about my issue.

Answer : Problem: Cisco SDM

You will need a static public address for the router you want to connect to. The access-list can be modified to allow a connection from anywhere even though it's less secure, but if it needs to be done, then it needs to be done.

Does that make sense?

Also, please post a config of the remote router if possible so I can make sure your commands are right.

BTW about the SDM... I think you'll abandon it soon after seeing it... it doesn't do what it's supposed to all the time, it adds bunches of lines to your config, it messes stuff up, and frankly it just plain sucks. I hate it. It's never caused me anything but trouble. I think it's the only GUI tool I've ever used that's actually harder to get things accomplished with than a command line.

Cheers! Let me know!

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us