Question : Problem: Access is Denied when accessing Linksys NSS6000 Share from domain computers

Hi guys,

We have a Linksys NSS6000 NAS with a large CIFS share setup. The NAS was joined to the domain a while ago and has been working fine since. We were able to access the NAS by browsing to \\nas-01 and we would see the main CIFS share and the relevant domain user's 'home' folder which the NAS created.

After a reboot a few days ago, we lost the ability to access the CIFS share from any of the computers on our domain. Now when we try to browse to \\nas-01 we are confronted with a login prompt which will not accept any of the usernames or passwords you throw at it.

I have checked the permissions and all the settings on the device and as far as I can see, everything is ok. The AD join is showing as 'ok', the domain users and groups are still showing up in the web admin. I even know that the domain users and their permissions on the share are fine (and now for the wierd part):
- We can connect to the NAS from a Linux or Mac computer fine (after logging in)
- We can connect to the NAS from a Windows XP machine not on the AD domain (after logging in).
- We can connect to the \\192.168.0.241 (IP of NAS-01) from an AD Domain computer without any username/password prompt coming up and everything is as normal.

That last one is the part that has me flabbergasted. How can we connect to \\192.168.0.241 with no problems but \\nas-01 just will not work?

I have checked DNS and everything seems fine. The nas-01 host resolves to 192.168.0.241 on the domain machines that I'm trying to connect from (and obviously worked fine from the Linux, Mac and non-AD WinXP machine).

Digging a little deeper I tried using 'net view' to see what was happening as follows:

C:\>net view 192.168.0.241
Shared resources at 192.168.0.241

Linksys NSS6000 NAS Device
Share name    Type  Used as  Comment
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lukas         Disk           Home Directories
datastore  Disk           Main Data Storage
The command completed successfully.

C:\>net view nas-01
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

I have searched everywhere for this 'System error 5' error but cannot find anything useful regarding Linksys NSS devices or Samba that might help.

Any advise on how I can troubleshoot this further would be greatly appreciated.

Answer : Problem: Access is Denied when accessing Linksys NSS6000 Share from domain computers

I managed to fix this problem myself. As per item 1 in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555644. We had a time synchronisation problem as the NAS was not using the AD domain controller as it's NTP server. Changed the NTP setting on the NAS to point to the DC and it is now working. (I think I had to reboot the NAS for it to take effect). Now to go and correct the time settings on our domain as it's running about 7 minutes fast. :)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us