Question : Problem: Slow VPN workgroup

I have a VPN with three locations usuing netgear prosafe 802.11g routers.  The main site is an office building where i have a public ip address and shared access on a dual t1 load balanced config.  The buildings isp is not throttling me at all.

At the office i have a network shared drive manufactured by buffalo.  It is a stand alone nework drive.  In the office it created a share on the windows workgroup without issue.  I created networks with the following ip schema

192.168.1.x office
192.168.2.x offsite1
192.168.3.x offsite2

The offsite locations are using cable modems to connect. The drive i mapped with the following command:

net use z:  \\192.168.1.123\ShareName

I tuned the mtu's so that ther eis no packet fragmentation but there is an unaceptable about of network lag.  When trying to download a 1 meg file to an offsite location from the office it will usually time out.

Please help.
Thanks Eddie

Answer : Problem: Slow VPN workgroup

>>"When trying to download a 1 meg file to an offsite location from the office it will usually time out."
This is almost always due to too high an MTU. I know you mentioned you "tuned the mtu's so that ther eis no packet fragmentation", but I assume you did this with the ping -f & -l options? This is not an accurate method for VPN's, as their is additional overhead for the VPN, which is not included when testing. Try lowering even further to 1260, and see if there is any improvement. If so you can gradualy increase the value.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us