Question : Problem: Simple Question about Setting Up VNC SC

1) I would like to build a customized version of the UltraVNC SC program that I can send to other people to use when they would like me to control their computers.

I know I have to edit helpdesk.txt and provide an IP address and a port  number. I've been told to use the IP address that is reported by whatismyipaddress.com (71.245.221.xxx). I also discovered that VNC is a service known to my Westell gateway and uses port 5500 as the primary port, so I will use the following:

71.245.221.xxx:5500

Then all I have to do is create a ZIP file of helpdesk.txt and whatever else -- rc4.key and images -- I want to use, and then use the online creator.

I can send the result to anyone I like. When they want me to look at their computer, they call me to alert me and then run the program I sent them (the program does not have to be installed.)

Am I right so far?

2. If I want to place the Ultra VNC SC program on a computer that is connected to my LAN, the 71.245.221.xxx number is no good, right?

Can I just create a second program with the internal IP address (192.168.1.xxx) of the computer that will run VNC in listen mode in helpdesk.txt?

3. Is there an SC for Linux?

Thanks.

Answer : Problem: Simple Question about Setting Up VNC SC

>>"Don't I need a server on one machine and a client on the other?"
Yes, but effectively you have that with CNC Single Click.

VNC and VNC SC are both very similar, use the same technology, but are applied slightly differently.
For the sake of discussion assume you are the technician and use computer 'A' and the user you wish to assist is using computer 'B'. With basic VNC you have to install a viewer on A and an application or "server version" of VNC on computer B. Computer A initiates the connection to B, and B can be set to allow automatic connections or have to have its user approve the connection. With VNC SC, computer B still has to have the server version, but it is not actually installed, it is just temporary, and done with the customized little app you build and send them. The primary difference is with VNC SC, computer B initiates the connection by asking A to connect. Once connected both VNC and VNC SC work pretty much the same.

The most common use of VNC is for IT staff to manage a known network. The most common use of VNC SC is for an unknown user to ask for support. VNC is similar to Microsoft's Remote Desktop, where VNC SC is similar to Microsoft's Remote Assistance.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us