Question : Problem: Pentium II 233 MHZ system lock up after running Yahoo news ticker

I purchased a gateway 2000 233MHZ system, 64MB SDRAM, ATI 3D RAGE PRO display adapter 4M Video RAM, Toshiba CD CD-ROM XM-6102B, 6.4 Quantum Hard Disk, telepath Modem, Ensoniq Audio..Bios Version : 4ALLOXO.15A.0013.P10.

My system hangs after I have the following programs running,
AOL 3.0, Netscape 3.01, and Yahoo news ticker, I called up
Gateway2000 tech support, they recommended me to disable the Yahoo news, Reason : not enough resources..( whatever that mean!), he asked me to upgrade the memory to 128MB, I told them I had another 200MHZ Pentium system 32MB Sony works fine, They still insisted that I need to disable yahoo news ticker.. Did Pentium II and Intel Mother board Users experience the same problem ? Or this is a Telepath Modem Problem? Or this is just a unique problem happenned to my system ? Any suggestions would be appreciated.. Thank you

Answer : Problem: Pentium II 233 MHZ system lock up after running Yahoo news ticker

There is NO WAY a computer configured like this (i.e. 65MB) RAM running these 3 programs.  Since you seem to indicate that this is a new system, my first suspicion is that there is a hardware problem.  Memory is a likely suspect.  I'd swap out the RAM and try things that way.  It could also be a bad MB or some other device but that is harder to test.  It could also be that one or more of the above programs is installed incorrectly, or that even Windows itself is installed bad.  By that I mean that when they built the system, one of more of files is the wrong version and one of the programs you are trying to run is choking on it.  Don't let the tech support off the hook with a "moron answer" like "disable the news ticker".  It's a legitimate program, it should run (and run well) on a system like this.  Demand to talk with someone who really knows what's going on.  If they persist, send the thing back and buy from someone else!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us