Question : Problem: help! Maxtor 120GB hdd got problem..

i currently using MAXTOR 6Y120L0   120gb harddisk(primary) and another 15gb hdd(secondary) for my desktop.,everytime i power on the pc,bios confirm can detect my secondary hdd drive but always fail detect my maxtor 120gb hdd..

it either totaly cant detect my maxtor hdd or show the incorrect name for my hdd drive in bios which is MAXTOR CALYPSO YAR42QWZ then appear fail load primary drive.. but after a few minutes i try restart my pc, the bios can detect the hdd and it work pretty fine..i did change the IDE cable to DMA 133, but still facing this problem..it's very troublesome cos i need to keep wait few minutes then restart only can detect the drive..is that my hd problem or my bios problem?plz help me!!!

Answer : Problem: help! Maxtor 120GB hdd got problem..

Is 35 your Reallocated Sector Count value, worst value, or threshold? (The values vary for different disks)

e.g. my Reallocated Sector Count looks like this:

Threshold = 10, Value = 253, Worst = 253, status = OK.

If 35 is your current value then you do most likely have a failing disk.
- The lower the number the worse it is. The reallocated sector count decreases as the number of bad sectors on you drive increases.
A full format will detect all the bad sectors it CURRENTLY has and will mark them as unusable, but if your disk is really starting to fail then more bad sectors will still occur afterwards.

If you can't seem to run a full thorough (5 pass) chkdsk then you can boot from your Windows XP cd and run the recovery console, from there you should be able to run a full check.

First make a note of the administrator password (not a user with 'administrator' rights, but the actual administrator user. The password for this account will have been decided during xp setup. If you can't remember it, go to run and type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes. Click on administrator and then click the 'reset password' button. you can now choose a new pasword.

Boot from your XP CD (you may have to change an option in the BIOS). When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts, choose the repair or recover option by pressing R. If you have a dual-boot system choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console. When prompted, type the Administrator password (this is why you needed it!).

It should now look like DOS effectively. Now type:

chkdsk c: /r

(assuming c is your 120gb drive).

I hope this helps.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us