Question : Problem: USB Ports Not Working

A couple of weeks ago I purchased an MP3 player. I connected it to one of the USB ports on the front of the PC and copied some music. When I removed the USB connection, the monitor flashed and went black. After two reboots the system came back up successfully, but my mouse and keyboard did not work. After trying a number of different things that did ot work, I took it to the place that had built the PC., They did several tests on the ports, front and back and internal, but none worked. The repairman also installed a separate USB board but couldn't get that to work either. So $200 later I still had a dead PC.

When looking at the Device Manager, all USB ports are listed and showing enabled and working properly. There is a mysterious error for a PCI devide that we can't figure out (neither could the repairman).

Is it likely that all USB ports were blown and that I will need a new motherboard? It seems impossible that simply removing a USB connection could have blown all the ports.

Answer : Problem: USB Ports Not Working

under the device manager, uninstall all usb items. (I hope your mouse is not usb otherwise it's slightly harder)
after they are all removed right click at the top of the device manager tree.   it will bring up a option "scan for hardware changes"  click that.
this will reinstall the usb drivers.
if you can not use the mouse anymore (usb mouse) you have 2 options,
1)  power down your computer then turn it back on,
2) on the keyboard hit the windows key, then  alt+f4 .  You should get the reboot menu, type R to reboot.

this should reload all the usb drivers.

if you have to remove the usb devices and hubs one at a time and scan for hardware changes each time. till you have done them all.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us