Question : Problem: WoL on Dell GX280 won't work

Hi!
I'm trying to make Wake on Lan in my company. So far - every computer model works fine except for the Dell GX280. The problem is when you power down that specific model - the NIC also seems to turn completely off (no LEDs are flashing in OFF-state, this happens to around 80% of all our GX280s). Waking GX260 and GX270 is no problem at all. On the GX280 I've enabled the WoL-setting in BIOS, upgraded to the latest BIOS-version (A08) and even updated the NIC drivers in Windows XP with no success.

But there is one manual solution that actually works (from another forum):
" With GX280, 40% of the GX280 does not have the NIC flashing when the computer is power off.  A call to DELL was open and the "fix" was to switch Remote Wakeup from ON to On with Boot to NIC then save then switch back Boot to NIC to ON. "

I've tried using Dells Client Configuration Utility to do exactly this via SCCM but it won't work. It seems that you have to toggle this manually in BIOS and I can't do that on 1.000 computers! Has anybody heard of this problem before or maybe even have a fix that I can deploy remotley?

Answer : Problem: WoL on Dell GX280 won't work

YES!!! I decided to look at this problem one last time before moving on and then I struck gold; I finally found a download for the hard to get "WinFWUpg.exe" (which is a "Broadcom Network Controller Firmware Upgrade Utility for Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, XP 32/64, 2003 Server 32/64 bit Version 6.0.43").

With the commandline "WinFWUpg -w 1" I could set WoL to "on" directly in the NICs firmware. That worked and I can now deploy this change through SCCM to all Dell GX280s. I will call Dell again and hopefully they will update their solution database...

You can find WinFWUpg here: http://www.ec-co.hu/drivers/teszt/Notebook/LAN/LAN10/FwUpg/Win/IA32/

Thanks especially to Sparkmaker for your insights.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us