Question : Problem: How do you set up an Intel 1gb NIC in a Del Poweredge 6650l

How do you set the 1gb NIC to run at 1GB. I have Cat 5e cable. Should I switch to cat 6?

Answer : Problem: How do you set up an Intel 1gb NIC in a Del Poweredge 6650l

YES. although cat5E will run at 1gig. its not suggested you do it. and you will definitely not be guaranteed a good connection. it will also only work over very short runs and with good quality cat5E cable.

all the network cable is, is strands of copper. cat6  is just tested to meet a higher spec. In theory you could get a cat5E cable that would also pass cat6 standard. however it won't have been tested for this or guaranteed to reach them. to be sure get a cat6 cable! there no that much more expensive any more!

Secondly make sure the card NIC is connected in to a switch that is capable of running 1gig. as standard the NIC will be set to auto negotiate. it wont run at 1gig if it is plugged in to a 100mb port at the other end.
also some times you will find plugging two different nic/switches from different manufacturers togater and they will not always autonegotiate correctly. I often have a problem with new cisco and old 3com switches. where they chose different speeds/duplexes at each end.

To force the NIC in to 1gig you need to open network connection. right click on the connection you want and  chose properties. Click up the top where is says configure next to the name of the NIC. Look on the advanced tab and you will see speed an duplex in the list. you can change the speed from auto to a set value. If you dont see 1gig here. then either the card id not capable of it. or you do not have the correct drivers installed.

hope that helps
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us