Question : Problem: Lan disable wireless internet

I have a laptop that connects to the internet through a wireless connection using a built-in wireless card on my laptop.  I also have a ethernet network which I have other coomputers on and an external harddrive.  I can connect to the internet fine when the la in not connected, but as soon as I plug in the lan connection.  I cannot find the internet.  The wireless is still connected.

under Network Connections->Advanced->advanced setting->adapters and bindings (in order):
1394 Connection
Wireless Network Connection
My Lan (Local Area Connection)
VMWare Network Adapter VMnet 1
VMWare Network Adapter VMnet 8
Remote Access connections

under Network Connections->Advanced->advanced setting->Provider Order (in order):
Network Porviders
   Microsoft Terminal Services
   Web Client Network
   Microsoft Windows Network
Print Providers
   LanMan Print Services
   HTTP Print Services

I am lost as to what to do.  I would like to be able to have the Lan connected and be able to access the internet through the wireless connection.  I cannot access the internet through the lan.

Answer : Problem: Lan disable wireless internet

I'm going to make a few assumptions that perhaps you can clarify. First being, this is a home network with a wireless router connected to a modem. What happens when you plug in hardwired and disable your wireless radio on the laptop? Are you able to ping your default gateway, and if so are you able to ping beyond that (out to the Internet). Those settings look fine to me. One thing I've never confirmed, buy suspect.... is that XP can only use one connection at a time (no load balance). Perhaps other experts can chime in regarding that.

An example of this would be were I use to work... we have wireless and hardwired connectivity, to manage some devices (telnet, etc.) I have to be on the management VLAN which is not available via wireless. So anytime I am connected wireless and hardwired I have to disabled my wireless in order to use the hardwired connection exclusively.

Are you able to get out to the Internet on the other computers that are hardwired?

Hope this helps.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us