Question : Problem: Printer Copy 1, Printer Copy 2

How do I stop the automatic duplication of the same print driver?
I have a laptop (XP Pro) that after the print driver is loaded for the HP LaserJet 1150, it adds the same printer with the word 'Copy 1' next to it. (HP LaserJet 1150 (Copy 1)).
Here are a few details:
The printer is connected from a serial to a USB thru a port replicator.
This creation of the "Copy 1" or "Copy 2" printers occurs when the machine disconnects and reconnects (after a shut down or a manual pull of the printer cable and re-insertion)
Often times the printer list will show multiple copies with the word "Offline" next to it.
The offline versions (sometimes a Copy 1, Copy 2...) will not always delete.

Any thoughts on how to correct this?
I tried deleting all versions of the printer from the printer list, doing a clean of the registry by way of CCleaner, rebooting, reinstall the driver but to no avail.
The Copy versions of the printer continue to show while "off-lining" the other versions.

Answer : Problem: Printer Copy 1, Printer Copy 2

I don´t know if this is you case. I ask if you always connect to the same port or a diferent port?
That behavior is normal for some printers and/or printer drivers if you chage the usb cabe to another port, on the computer or the port replicator. For test purpuses make sure that you alway connect to the exact same ports and check if it still hapens. When you have normal and well designed usb printers no matter to what port you connect them the computer still sees it as the same printer (for example by it's serial number) and there for doesn't add a new one. For other printers that doesn't happen so the computer/driver identifies the printer by the id of the port. That is normal. That happens for example to allow you to connect two or more printers like yours to the same computer. They are distinguished by the port that they are connected. Another thing when using using usb to serial adapters they are assigned a com port (COM 4, COM 5, ...) depending on the usb port that you connect them, thus allowing you to connect several usb to serial adapters and make available serel COM ports ports without interfering in the others.
Hope this helps
Regards
Joel

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us