Question : Problem: Hardware hacking: Signal tracing

I'm trying to get into hardware hacking as a hobby.  I'm trying to find some good information on the reverse engineering bit.  Does anyone have any good directions or sources of information?  Primarily I'm concerned with signal tracing.  How can I track what bytes are sent accross a line?

I'm wanting to solder some wires into a circuit  and attach to a db9 connector that I can send some signals across to simulate what the button push does.  I'm hacking my sprinkler system.  Just having fun while voiding my warranty.

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Hardware hacking: Signal tracing

Yes, of course it would matter.   8 )

If you are banging around with digital stuff, like signals to your DB-9 to your computer or some sort of controller or logic, you need the analyzer part,.. if you are looking at analog you need more of an oscilloscope, which shows actual analog levels over time.

If necessary you can even just use a voltmeter (digital ones are cheap and plentiful) to tell you the voltage or level NOW. The other tools I've mentioned show you those signal levels changing over a period of time, which is much easier to use.

Note that the link i gave you is for a device that acts as a O-scope and an analyzer together.

David
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us