Question : Problem: Dial up modem Overclocking

Hi,

Since this isn't illegal with the dial up internet services, i was wondering if someone knows how to change a few important setting (or even rebuild the actual modem) that would greatly change my connection speed. I am not talking about those crappy programs you can download that make multiple connection, those are a waste of time, my connection is already at the max when downloading something, so that doesnt make the slightest difference.

Thanks

Answer : Problem: Dial up modem Overclocking

Joke. Sorry about that. I tried to make it clear that the processing circuits are already clocking faster than they need to go just to be sure the tasks they are programmed to do is complete in time they have. The time they have is determined by the sampling rate clock. The algorithm and the communications standards they communicate with determine your modem sample rate. It is very much like the sampling of a sound card except there are special digital signal processors that MODulate and DEModulate (MODEM) the digitized signal. The phone company has its own sample rate in the central office and you can't change it. It is 8kHz all over the planet. This means the highest frequency that can be sent through the switching system is about 3400Hz. This is limited by physics and backed up by very powerful filters. (look up Nyquist) The wires are better than that unless you have "load coils" which are found on phone lines over 3 miles long. Different modems use different circuits so to get a better idea on what you might do, look up data sheets and application note for the larger chips on your modem board. Analog circuits are a lot more interdependant than the connect the dots digital world. The most key component is the coupling transformer. Improve its performance and everything gets better. Generally, the larger the coupling transformer, the better it is. You may even use two transformers but your modem chips may be designed specifically for a certain cheap one. One function that occures in the modem is "hybrid" function where the full duplex phone signal is converted into seperate transmit and receive. This can occur in transformers, transformer and amplifiers, or digitally inside the modem chip. This page on my web site might help you understand:
http://www.inventgineering.com/Telephony.htm
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us