Question : Problem: BIOS error after installing ISA modem : 1882 pci/pnp error : not enough I/O space available

IBM 300GL
ISA modem : US Robotics 33.6 56K FAX INT PnP  (Sportster 33600 Fax v4.3.174)

i get a BIOS alert when i try to boot up (two beeps and then the error shows).  it is the same error reported here (but this other problem was a sound card) http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_11375978.html   there is no resolution on that problem.

the error is : 1882 pci/pnp error : not enough I/O space available.

i checked the device and I/O settings... and i am not seeing where the ISA slot IRQ configuration is at.  i went ahead and changed the parallel port to no IRQ hoping that it would free up an IRQ for the ISA, but upon reboot i'm getting the same error.  it also seems that there are plenty of free IRQ's

my options in the Devices and I/O Ports screen are:
mouse - installed
diskette A - 1.44mb 3.5
diskette B -not installed
serial port setup : serial port a address 3f8h and IRQ 4
usb support - enabled.  usb keyboard/mouse support - autodetect (i'm not using usb keyboard or mouse)
parallel port - 378h.  mode - extended.  extended mode - ecp.  extended mode DMA - DMA 3.  IRQ - no IRQ (previously was set to 7)
video controller s3 incorporated trio3D.  video memory - 4096KB.  video aperature - 64MB.  primary display - PCI.  palette snooping - disabled.  video interrupt - enabled.
IDE drive setup : (gives details on the various IDE drives)
audio setup : audio support enabled.

there is also an area in BIOS for ISA Legacy Resources.  i tried going into the DMA Resources and set channel 5 to ISA Resource... did not resolve the problem.  also went into Interrupt Resources and set channel 5 to ISA Resource.  same error.

what do i need to do in BIOS to resolve the error?

by the way, if i bypass the error and boot up, the modem shows fine in Device Manager.  windows xp shows IRQ 3 assigned with I/O Range 02F8-02FF, and no conflicts.
thanks

Answer : Problem: BIOS error after installing ISA modem : 1882 pci/pnp error : not enough I/O space available

It varies by the EXACT model number but USR ISA modems generally have jumpers to select the settings.
If you want to use plug and play then no jumpers are installed.
The usual jumper settings are shown here on pages 12 and 13.
http://www.usr.com/support/1171/1171-files/1171-unkg-sp336v_uk.pdf
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us