Question : Problem: switch interconnections - constraints

I have a situation where an organization wants additional network connections but doesn't want new cabling/wireless.  Basically they want people who have laptops to come into their offices where they already have desktops and hook the laptop in without unhooking the desktop. What I have done for one person is connected their data jack to a switch which in turn the laptop and the desktop are both plugged into.  I may want to do this in 6 other offices. Is there some kind of limit on how many of these extra switches I can plug in around the office?

Answer : Problem: switch interconnections - constraints

What make and model of switch?

If the computers and laptops are not going to be used at the same time then you should be fine.

This is not the ideal setup because you loose control of the number of devices on your network but if this is the only option then you should be fine.

The only concern is when you start loading up lower end switches with a lot of connections they start to drop packets and traffic gets congested. An example would be a basic 24 port dell or linksys would start causing these issues were as a good cisco or HP would be fine.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us