Question : Problem: Allow internet acces and block LAN access (Linksys wifi router)

I have a Linksys WRT54GS router, with the latest firmware updates from Linksys.

I have the router set up for wireless internet access at home, and when people connect to the router, then can access both the local network and the internet.

I want to prevent clients connected via the wifi interface from being able to see each other, and also prevent them from being able to access local network resources. Effectively, if someone connects to the wifi, all they can do is access the internet.

Would I do this through the "advanced router" section perhaps? There is no option to automate this process, as far as I can see.

Answer : Problem: Allow internet acces and block LAN access (Linksys wifi router)

Many wireless Routers have a "Private" mode which would do what you want, but this one doesn't have such an option.

If your normal LAN is running off a different router, then add the linksys router and connect it to your LAN via the WAN port. Setup the internet side of this router to a static IP within your LAN that has an IP next to the IP of your normal router, give it a subnet mask that won't allow it to see the rest of the IP's on the wired LAN. Make sure that the DHCP server of your standard LAN can't server out the IP address you have given your linksys router. On the LAN side of your Linksys router give it an IP subnet that is different from the subnet on the WAN side. This will make sure that the wireles devices can't see your normal LAN, but still go to the internet, but it can't prevent the wireless clients sharing data amongst them.

Example:

Your Standard router has the IP 192.168.0.1

Configure the WAN port of the Linksys Router with the following:

IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.253
gateway: 192.168.0.1
dns server: 192.168.0.1

Configure the LAN side of the Linksys like this:

IP: 192.168.1.1
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us