Question : Problem: Slow printing via printserver + printjobs "disappear"

Hi,

I have some big problems with a HP1020 printer USB connected to a Trendnet TE100-P21 Printserver.

I have installed the networkprinter on our 2003 SBS server and then the client PC's (running win XP pro) connect to the printer through the server. In other words the SBS server administrates the printqueue.

Printing is very slow. Also when printing from the server.I have tried to connect directly to the printserver from the client PC's, but that does not help. When I connect the printer directly to a PC without using the Trendnet printserver, printing speed is good.

Any ideas what causes the slow speed when printing via the printserver? Or is it just regular?

When printing a lot of regular documents in a short time sometimes some of them "disappear". Typically a bundle. Viewing the eventlog on the server shows the following error for each document that has not been printed:

"The document Remote Desktop Redirected Printer Doc owned by kjn failed to print on printer FAK HP1020. Data type: RAW. Size of the spool file in bytes: 37614. Number of bytes printed: 4. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\10.0.43.68. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 0. The operation completed successfully."

When looking up "error code 0" it means that the printjob has been processed with succes!?!?!?

Any ideas what causes this?

From time to time it happens that the printer stops printing. By making af total cleanup in the spool-folder and the registry and then restarting the printspooler the printer starts working again.

Any ideas thy this happens?

Thanks for reading !

Answer : Problem: Slow printing via printserver + printjobs "disappear"

It will probably have something to do with the fact that the LaserJet 1020 is a 'host-based' printer.

Many models of this type of printer (also sometimes known as a 'GDI', or 'Windows' printer) are NOT supported via print servers; I've no idea if this is the case with this particular model, although the HP document http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&docname=c00381599&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN seems to imply (perhaps somewhat ambiguously) that it is not.

I have seen reference to some sites having success printing with such printers via print servers, if 'bi-directional' support is disabled.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us