Question : Problem: How to use multiple wireless routers in a home

I have a large home with several stories. One wireless router is not sufficient for access by laptops,  So we need to set up at least 2 wireless access points.  I have two (2) DIR-655 DLINK wireless routers.  I dont mind having two different SSIDs but I thought the sales person said that DHCP would have to be turned off.
I have TW cable modem.

Answer : Problem: How to use multiple wireless routers in a home

rdunaga,

I've done this a few times.  Here is what you have to do.

1.  Setup the first router as the one handling the DHCP.
2.  Turn off DHCP on the second router (this turns it into an access point).
3.  Connect the first router to the second router with a network cable - but plug the network cable into the second router using one of the 'regular' network ports - not the Interner or WAN port.   You should probably manually set the IP address on the second router to some high number in your network IP range, etc.. 192.168.1.200
4.  Configure the second router's wireless settings
4a.  You can use the same SSID - which will make roaming in the house a bit easier if you need that.
4b.  Set the channel on the second router at least 5 channel numbers away from the first one (e.g. if the first router is on channel 6, set the second router to use channel 1 or 11.
4c.  If you used the same SSID - you can also set the WEP/WPA to the same key.

That should just about do it.  You are basically setting up the second router as an access point - which will pass though DHCP requests to the first router.

I hope this helps.
Bob.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us