Question : Problem: AMD Processors

Hi,

I'm planning to purchase an AMD ATHLON XP 2000+ 1.67GHZ 256K 266FSB, so I want to go to the AMD site to check out which motherboards are compatible with this CPU, but I see there are two models for this CPU, model 6 and model 8.  What's the difference between those two?  Which one am I suppose to look at?

Also, under the compatible motherboards, there are a list of them but for example it listed this one: ASUS A7N266-VM mATX NFORCE220D DDR AGP 3PCI ATA100 VIDEO/SOUND/LAN, now after ASUS A7N266-VM, what does the -VM mean?  It says it's the revision but what does the revision mean?  Does matter which one I choose?

Thanks,
famtrad

Answer : Problem: AMD Processors

magarity,
  What sought of user are U? Will U consider ur self a power user ? If not, buy boards with onboard Display/Sound & LAN if possible. But yes its a good idea to save some money by buying a slightly sslower CPu punched but then punch it with a hefty
ATI Radeon 9700/ GeForce 4MX 460 or something of that sought. Rest is all Ur choice. Many sound cards have quadro/surround sound in case U want to. Eg Creative SB Audigy (not Audigy 2 platinum) is good & cheap.

I recommend u buy Soltek/HIS if U want a reliable & cheap board with an ATI Radeon.

Regards,
Zubin
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us