Question : Problem: SMB stopped working on windows 2003 server. Macs and scanners using SMB fail to connect

Hello all, I am completely stumped on this one.

I have a domain that is running two windows 2003 SP 2 servers and both servers are domain controllers.
Server1 is the primary windows 2003 small business server and server 2 is windows 2003 enterprise and is used as a file server and a BES server. Server2 has File Server for Macintosh installed and started.

I setup Mac users with a shared folder 2 months ago and it has worked fine until Friday Afternoon at 1:45 PM. The Mac users connect by smb://servername/sharename, they enter their user info domain name  username = domainname/user, and password.

all of a sudden on Friday no users could connect to the server via SMB. This includes Mac's and scanners that connect with SMB.

I went through all the documentation for connecting macs to a share, I have disabled "digitally signed communication" on all the servers.

I can still connect to the server shares with a PC. I can  ping the server from the Macs, I can resolve the server name from the Macs, I also enabled audits on the folders to pickup errors.

on the server I get an error 529 unknown username or bad password.

Hope someone else has seen this same issue

Thanks so much

Peter

Answer : Problem: SMB stopped working on windows 2003 server. Macs and scanners using SMB fail to connect

Check that in the Domain Controller Security Policy (as opposed to the Domain security policy), you have disabled "Digitally sign client communication (always)"
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us