Question : Problem: Volume control is not working on Microsoft keyboard

I recently purchased a USB Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard 1.1.  It works fine except for the volume control, which does not function at all.  The mute button works and displays the volume meter on the screen, but the volume up and down buttons do nothing.  I have searched around online, and most of the information I have found suggests a human interface driver problem.  It looks like I have the latest versions, however, and Windows Update cannot find any new files.  I am running XP Pro with SP3.  I attached a screen shot of the device manager.  The first "HID Non-user Input Data Filter" does not seem to control anything, but disabling the second "HID Non-user Input Data Filter" causes the mute button on the keyboard to stop working.  The "USB Human Interface Device" appears to control the mouse.  Any suggestions?

Answer : Problem: Volume control is not working on Microsoft keyboard

I have the same keyboard and had the same problem for months.  I finally got fed up and fixed it today.  The fix was to start the WIndows "HID Input Service", though it wasn't that easy. Here's what I did:

- Tried to start the service from Ctrl Panel -> Admin tools -> Services.  Got a DLL not found error.  Checked the registry and this service points to "%SystemRoot%\System32\hidserv.dll".  Checked and that file didn't exist in that location.

- Restored the hidserv.DLL from the WIndows XP CD.  Tried to start the service.  No good.  

- Found a random google hit about HID input service not starting.  Solution was to delete the "ServiceDll" registry entry under HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\HIDserv\parameters and replace it with a new EXPANDABLE STRING VALUE called "ServiceDll" pointing at "%SystemRoot%\System32\hidserv.dll" (the key is to make the new value an EXPANDABLE STRING VALUE).

- Started the HID Input Service service.  Volume control works.

So, give this a shot and do a couple google searches along the way and you should be all set.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us