Question : Problem: DOT4_001 error with Laserjet 2000

I have an HP Laserjet2000 connected via a JetDirect card to USB. After a very short period of time, printing fails (sometimes mid job) with the following error message.
"There was an error writing to DOT4_001 for the printer (HP Laserjet 2000).
There was a problem printing to the port.
Check to make sure your printer is configured to use a valid port."

Switching the printer off and on again corrects the problem which recurs again shortly afterwards. I have updated the Motherboard BIOS and all drivers. I am running WIN89SE.

Answer : Problem: DOT4_001 error with Laserjet 2000

Using Usb on a jet direct card I would say is not as reliable as having the printer connected by parallel port.

Considering you have Windows 98 their were a lot of issues with windows 98 and USB especially the first edition of windows98 and usb.

You said you updated all the drivers did you download the service packs for windows and also for your USB controller ?

Right click on my computer select properties go to device manager click on USB and look to see what it says for the number and model USB controller. If it is a VIA chipset it will probably need to be updated it will have a number with AB/ something after it

An update of the usb controller may resolve the problem or service packs if that does not resolve it, then I would connect parallel.

Another option would be to uninstall the software then go to start run type msconfig hit enter then go to startup tab write down everything that is checked on a piece of paper then uncheck everything hit apply then ok then reboot and reinstall the drivers for the printer it may be having communication problems if the software was installed without doing this.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us