Question : Problem: connecting 2 routers for a lab

Hi,

I have 2 routers Cisco 3661 and a couple of hubs and switches in for our lab.  I want to simulate 2 remote networks in my lab and therefore I want to connect the 2 routers with each other.

How can I connect the 2 routers ?  Do I have to have the serial port of the routers connected to modem ?  If that is the case then I will need 2 telephone links in my lab.

If anyone has any ideas please help.

Thank you.

Answer : Problem: connecting 2 routers for a lab

It will work.  The Fast Ethernet Port is an interface on the router.  Just as a serial interface is.  If he wants to run test routing between segments it will work fine.  If he wants to simulate a 56k line or a T1 then yeah use the serial ports.  But if he simply wants to run routing stuff like OSPF or static routes and other type of routing protocols.  This will work.  It is a simple solution for testing purposes.

Now if you to test perfomance over a slow speed connection then you need to use the serial ports.  You can us a null serial cable in this case.  Otherwise you can take normal serial cables and hook up CSU/DSU on each router.  Then between the two CSU/DSUs Cross pairs 1 and 2 on a cable.  That will simulate your telco.  

ChiSpeaking
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us