Question : Problem: HP JetDirect 175x and HP cp1700 on NT server sp6, some Pc print some only spool (then stop responding)

Hi all,

I have a JetDirect 175x and a cp1700 printer installed using HP jetdirect software on WinNt 4 SBS server. (also on this server are 4 other printers all are OK).  

This is the strange part, some of the win2k clients on the domain can print to the cp1700, by installing it from the server, i.e. finding it on the network and double clicking etc.

Some of the win2k pc's can install the cp1700 OK, using the above method, but when you try to print to the cp1700 the "print button" is greyed out, also you can only see the "general" tab all the rest are missing.  Also when you print a test page using printer propereties it is sent to the server but stayes in the Q with the STATUS=spooling and never prints.

The PC's that print have Acrobat 5 or earlier, the PC's with Acrobat 6 will not print, is this a red herring?

I have set up a static IP and Subnet / GW etc. on the 175x

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have used the HP cd and tried to install the printer on each PC, I am at a loss as to what is going on.  Below is from the Config page of the 175x.

Thankyou

--------- General Information ----------                                                                                              
Model Number:                     J6035C                                                    
Hardware Address:           00306EFFA085  
Firmware Version:                M.25.13            
LAA:                             00306EFFA085            
Port Config:                  100TX FULL          
Auto Negotiation:                     On            
Manufacturing ID:         22014415902201            
Date Manufactured:               04/2004

Answer : Problem: HP JetDirect 175x and HP cp1700 on NT server sp6, some Pc print some only spool (then stop responding)

>>The PC's that print have Acrobat 5 or earlier, the PC's with Acrobat 6 will not print, is this a red herring?

As a test can you remove 6 and install 5 onto a PC and see if you can print?

Also, with the additional tabs in the printer properties missing, it seems like the driver isn't successfully being installed.  Are you loggin in as the administrator?  There could be a permissions issue with the drivers folder on the server, or there could be a permissions issue with the printer itself.

Also, why not try downloading the latest Windows 2000 driver for the printer and doing a test install locally to see if that works?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us