Question : Problem: Increase C drive on W2Kr3

I have (2) 250Gb drives in my Dell P2950 server running W2Kr3.  Disk0 contains volumes C & D which consumes the entire drive.  Disk1 has an E drive but I have unallocated space.  My C drive is dangerously too small (12Gb) and I am looking for the best short and long term solution to my problem.  If I need tools beyond what Windows provides, please tell me your recommendations.

Answer : Problem: Increase C drive on W2Kr3

Are Disk0 and Disk1  physical disks?

In a production server, I expect volumes to be on a RAID array's Logical Disks with redundandcy in case of mechanical drive failure.

My interim preference would be to migrate volume 'D'  to the second drive.
First get a good backup.

To begin migration, you need enough space on the second drive to allocate a partition as big as D.

Stop all services and programs that may rely on D.

Create the partition on the second logical disk, copy the contents of D to the new volume,  remove the D: drive letter in disk management, remove any mounts/assignments of the ol drive, assign the new D the drive letter (and any special mounts you had given to the old D: before).

Reboot, and resume all applications using the new D partition on the second disk.

Mount the old D as a different drive letter in disk management.
Create a temporary folder and move all the folders in the old D:\  to the temp folder,  just to be sure.

Un-assign the drive letter from the old D, to again make it inaccessible.
Reboot.

Ideally, wait a day or so, make sure the system is good.

Phase 2 of the migration:
Delete the old D:

Remove the partition that contained the old D:,  so the space shows on Disk0 as "unallocated space"

Phase 3: Prepare to expand the boot volume

Open a command prompt

chkdsk /f C:

The drive will be mounted, chkdsk cannot run, say yes to schedule a chkdsk run, reboot.

For the next step you will need a BartPE BootCD or Windows ultimate Boot CD capable of running the diskpart command.    

You should test that you can boot a windows workstation with the CD and run diskpart on that, before trying on your server.

BartPE or Windows ultimate boot cd  needs to be based on Windows XP SP1.
Or see here for possible issue with using SP2 or 2003 as source for building the boot CD
http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com/2007/04/bartpe-diskpart-nightmare.html

Use the diskpart commands to select the partition, then select the volume, then extend the volume.

You need to be careful here, if you get the select or the disk wrong,  you may expand the wrong volume.

So  for  disk 0,  volume 0  (the system boot volume for you)

diskpart> list volume

(should show you a list)

diskpart> select volume 0
diskpart> extend

That's what it takes.

This is less recommended, but if you convert to dynamic disks, you do not need to move 'D'  off of disk0.

You _can_ tell diskpart to extend a volume on one disk onto the second disk.

This is inadvisable for a number of reasons;  if the second drive fails, you lose integrity of your boot drive too,  you'd probably have to reinstall completely.

Also, you cannot convert a dynamic disk back to a normal one later, if you find  degraded performance a problem, it's a one-way operation.

to extend a volume across dynamic disks to other dynamic disks, you could do

diskpart> select volume 0
diskpart> extend disk=1

You can even specify how many MB to extend by.

diskpart> extend disk=1 size=512

When done
diskpart> exit

The reason to use a windows ultimate boot CD or a  bartpe cd,  in any case one where you have diskpart working,  is that

when the system is actually in operation,  diskpart will not work on the boot drive.
Because diskpart needs to gain exclusive control to expand a volume, which conflicts with requirements of the boot drive for ordinary system operation.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us