Question : Problem: iphones and my network

Im the IT admin for a school and somehow, the students got a hold of the wep key so naturally, I have 5 dozen ipods and iphones on my network, hogging bandwidth and ip addresses. I need to know a way I can block them from getting onto the network either by keeping them from getting IP's or something.

I know I could use MAC filtering but I really dont want to block specific MACs (cause there are so many) and i dont want to only allow certain MAC addresses (because I have hundreds of machines on m network)

I had read somewhere a while ago about "headers" and that could somehow keep iphones/ipods from getting an IP. Does that ring any bells?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Answer : Problem: iphones and my network

YES, you've hamstrung yourself with the REQUIREMENT of keeping WEP & not using MAC address limitations.

The ONLY other option would be if you have a Web Filter device or software on the network which monitors all Internet traffic/packets.

Depending on the make or model of Filter you may be able to block certain browsers (such as Safari or more specifically look at the specific version of Safari that the iPhone uses)

This will not however prevent the users from getting onto the network and accessing your LAN... just Internet use.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us