Question : Problem: SMS client auto push install not working

I have a couple issues with the SMS client installing on workstations.

1) When I join a PC to a domain, after time the collections only update when I manually run the ALL TASKS --> UPDATE COLLECTION MEMBERSHIP process. Isn't the client supposed to be put in the collection automatically? I have all of the discovery settings enabled and set to EVERY HOUR (I know this is not ideal - it's for testing). Again, the client just doesn't show up in any collections until I run the Update Collection Membership process. Discovery seems OK though.

2) The SMS client itself does not install on the workstation until AFTER I run some windows updates. I can;t figure out what one "does the trick" though. Seems like there is something missing from a vanilla O/S install of XP SP2 where the SMS client will not install. Does anyone know what this is? I don't want to test each available update to figure it out - sorry maybe just being lazy but there is a lot of stuff to test...BITS perhaps, Windows Installer 3.1??? The workstation shows up in the collection as ASSIGNED and as a CLIENT (after doing the stuff in sitem 1 from above) but the actuall pieces of SMS do not show up in the workstation Control Panel until after doing Windows Updates.

At first I thought you had to use a script to push the SMS client or manually install it, but after  running the Windows Updates it does indeed install all by itself.

Just FYI too...I am trying to be as brief as possible so please forgive me if I sound like I don;t know what I am doing here. Although not an expert on SMS, I have really put a lot of time into learning this stuff. I am pretty sure I have all the settings correct... client connection accounts, packages, collections, advertisements, site boundaries, active directory containers for SMS and appropriate security, single site system setup as a distribution point, management point etc....

Answer : Problem: SMS client auto push install not working

1) in order for a machine to show up, the discovery cycle must be run and the collection must update. So, if your disocering from AD, and your AD disocery cycle is 1 hour, and your collection update is 1 hour, it will be a maximum of 2 hours before machines show up in "all systems"

2) the logs will show you why the client was unable to install - if it is patch related, i imagine it would specify or at least point you in the right direction. Having siad that, im unaware of any patch requirements for the SCCM client.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us