Question : Problem: How update library when files are NOT stored within iTunes Music folder?

Hi- I am new to iTunes.  I use Media Player but forced to install iTunes so I can sync my wife's new iPod.
I don't want to copy my files to the iTunes Music folder, so I do File, Add Folder to Library which updates the iTunes library files (.itl & .xml).  (Preferences, Advanced, "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" is UNCHECKED). I plug in the iPod and it syncs fine.

BUT - if I modify anything within the folder, my iTunes library info does not change.  It seems that iTunes does not MONITOR the folders that I add.  I haven't found a way to REFRESH the library without deleting the iTunes library files and starting again from scratch.  What is the best way for me to manage this process?

With Regards-
Sam

Answer : Problem: How update library when files are NOT stored within iTunes Music folder?

1. You are CORRECT . .. "iTunes DOES NOT MONITOR the folders that I add" .. this also applies for iTunes own Music folder .. so it is the standard behaviour of iTunes.  If you move music into or out of any pre-determined Music Folder iTunes will not know what you've done until you Re-Add the folder to the Library.  This forces iTunes to scan for new music in that folder.

2. There should be NO NEED to delete the iTunes Library file every time you change your music folder .. this is an extreme solution.  Instead, just point iTunes at the top level folder and get it to Add to Library.  It will find new music and mark any songs that are no longer available as missing.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us