Question : Problem: CPU temperature levels enquiry - Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2Ghz

Hi,

I have a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition processor 3.2Ghz 478-pin and ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. Together with my processor I have a Thermaltake 6000rpm fan and copper (I think) heatsink, and with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste (that I applied about 1-2 years ago when I built the computer).

My processor with the fan at 6000rpm operates at 45(idle) to 60 (100% usage) degrees Celsius. Lately, I thought why not lower the fan to gain from some noise reduction, hence I lowered it to 2500rpm. When it is idle it operates at about 45-50 degrees C, but when it is being used 100% (e.g. video games), it quickly goes to 70 degrees C, and I am worried.

What is the maximum temperature it can operate WITHOUT losing any performance? Is a temp of 70C normal? Is the processor safe under these circumstances? (Note: the processor is NOT and NEVER has been overclocked).

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Answer : Problem: CPU temperature levels enquiry - Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.2Ghz

If you're hitting 70C on the cpu, you should investigate a better cpu cooler and more fans in the case.  Even though the cpu is rated for more, it's not a good idea to run it that high.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us