Question : Problem: What are the ramifications of exceeding manufacturer's memory recommendations?

I've always been curious about manufacturer's memory recommendations.

My Dell Inspiron shipped with 256mb of RAM on the motherboard, and I maxed it out at 512mb by adding a single 256mb stick. I need more RAM in my system. What are the ramifications of exceeding the manufacturer's recommendations on RAM? System instability? Will it catch fire? Will it blow up? Will matter meet anti-matter and destroy the universe?

Just curious.

Answer : Problem: What are the ramifications of exceeding manufacturer's memory recommendations?

It isn't going to work if you put more in.  The computer accesses each bit of memory by an address.  If the maximum allowed memory is 512MB, then there are only enough addresses for up to 512MBs.  I particularly remember doing this twice- In one case, the system only recognized the size of the first stick and functioned, in another the system would not pass the memory check during post, when I turned it on.

If you need more RAM, you are going to need to get a new motherboard... if you have a 512 limit, it is an old system, so if you change the motherboard out you are probably going to have to replace other components so they are compatible with your new mobo.  Sounds like it might be time for a new computer :)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us