Question : Problem: Norton Save and Restore loading problem. Possible cause is a .NET Framework issue.

I cannot load NSR 2 (Norton Save and Restore 2). Can you advise me how I can fix the problem?

Please note that I have successfully installed this application on several other machines without any problems. Also, I have licences for each copy, so that is not the issue.

I am a C++ and C# developer of .NET applications. Interestingly, none of my applications work on this particular machine either! Therefore, I think the problem may not actually be with NSR but rather with the .NET framework installation itself. I have of course tried a re-install of .NET and NSR.

System Information (all products licenced):
AMD 3200+ with 1GB RAM
Windows XP Professional SP2
Norton Internet Security 2006
Running Apache 2.2.3 services with PHP and OpenSSL
Maxtor OneTouch III (external drive) is my backup storage device
- Maxtor EasyManage is installed

-----------
If we assume .NET Framework is not an issue, here is what Norton Tech Support said:
-----------
Please note that Norton Tech Support told me to disable any other backup software and try a re-install of NSR. Therefore, I used taskmanager to shut down the OneTouch system service then uninstalled NSR. I then rebooted, disabled OneTouch services yet again, then installed NSR. This would mean that OneTouch could not effect the install process - although I fail to see why they suggested this! I would have gone so far as to unintall the Maxtor sorftware BUT it is very well known that their drive and software is infact engineered to be used in conjunction with NSR (pressing button on external drive activates Maxtor software which can be configured to load NSR). It even says it on the box ;-)
-----------

Im hoping somebody knows of a registry fix or .NET Framework patch that I can use. The fact that both NSR and my .NET apps fail to load on this specific machine seems too much of a coincidence. Although I may well be wrong here!

Thanks ever so much for your help. Im trying to get this working before Monday because the machine is connected to by many users as a company server Mon - Fri each week!

Adrian

Answer : Problem: Norton Save and Restore loading problem. Possible cause is a .NET Framework issue.

Have you tried reinstalling .NET completely (including VS etc.)?

Btw my experience with Norton on dev machines is that Norton isn't the most stable utility to use on development machines.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us