Question : Problem: Device/card to connect security cameras to Mac Pro

I am attempting to increase the amount of monitoring on my property. I already have a few wireless and network cameras around the house for watching pets while at work, monitoring the house while on vacation and so forth. I am using EvoCam to capture and share.

I now would like to increase the scope to outside of the house. While I like the ease of set up and use provided with my networked cameras, I find that their ability in low or high light is severely limited and they are definitely not meant for inclement weather.

I thought I would test out two Q-See QSB520SR cameras. I can convert the BNC out to RCA, if necessary. What I need is a way to connect the BNC out (or RCA) of these two cameras to my Mac Pro so that EvoCam or any other software can capture the feeds and process as necessary.

I know of RCA to USB connectors for Macs, but this is unacceptable as they are a one-to-one connection and I do not see that this would scale to more than 4 wired cameras which is my ultimate intention.

Is there a DVR that I can connect the cameras to that I can then stream to the Mac via some method? Streaming the multiple cameras in a single-signal, window-pane style is acceptable.

I am really just looking for whatever I need in between the cameras and the computer that allows me simultaneous capture of all inputs.

Thank you!

Answer : Problem: Device/card to connect security cameras to Mac Pro

As far as I can tell, you would need multiple video inputs into your computer to do RCA (BNC) that way.
Video surveillance systems either switch between cameras to a single output, or use "banks" of monitors and recorders.

My current setup has 2 USB cams for inside (set for motion sensing in the software) and 3 RCA cameras (2 with color/sound, 1 B/W no sound) running into their own VCRs, recording with 8 hour tapes.
Short of hooking them into 3 computers with a video-in card, and networking them together, or dropping some bucks on a 'switcher', I haven't found a way to do what you want.

The one I mentioned last night is the closest I have come, without breaking the budget.

First Alert -- Model 5876
2 channel monitor with B/W motion sensor camera.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?Sku=W08-2016

If the link doesn't work, just paste
First Alert Model 5876
into Google
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us