Question : Problem: BackupExec 12 won't work with Hardware Encryption

I am using Symantec BackupExec 12.0 SP3 running on a Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 machine.  The tape drive I am using is an HP Ultrium 1840 LTO4 drive with Imation Ultrium LTO4 tapes.  We specifically bought these tapes and drive in order to use Hardware Encryption.

I can run a full network backup without any encryption just fine, however when I try to add hardware encryption, I get the following error:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Scsi\cpqcissm1.

Then the backup promptly fails.  We must then restart the server before we can do any tape operations through BackupExec, we must also relabel the tape before it can be used again.

I have tried this with NO compression and WITH compression, both software and hardware in all possible combination thereof.  I have the most up-to-date symantec drivers for the tape drive and the most up to date firmware for the SCSI controller via HP.

Like I said, I can do full backups WITHOUT encryption, however I want to be able to do it WITH encryption.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Answer : Problem: BackupExec 12 won't work with Hardware Encryption

SelfGovern,

We just installed a HP Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI Host Bus Adapter to use instead of the SmartArray 6i.  That has cleared up the issue.  Backups are now running correctly with the Hardware Encryption.

Thank you for your assistance on this issue.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us