Question : Problem: iTunes 7 - "original file cannot be found. would you like to locate it?"

I recently moved this employees iTunes music files from the server to an external USB hard drive connected to her PC so she's not streaming music across the LAN all day. Everything was working fine until yesterday when I re-targeted her My Documents folder to pint to the corect location on the server.

Her current and correct  iTunes music folder path is:

E:\Kristi\iTunesMusic

In iTunes I went to Edit - Preferences - Advanced tab

and verified the correct folder path is listed. I even tried re-selecting the correct folder path. Now when she tries to play a song she has to go find it. How did altering the My Documents patch screw up iTunes when her music had been removed from her standard [My Documents\My Music] path a long time ago.

I cannot figure out how to tell iTunes that the music is exactly where it was before I re-targeted her My Documents folder. I've double-checked the drive letter mapping and am stumped now. Thanks for any helpful insight.

Answer : Problem: iTunes 7 - "original file cannot be found. would you like to locate it?"

This may be similar to your issue.  

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6233745&#6233745

It suggests letting iTunes move the music.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us