Question : Problem: Itunes library sharing betweens users and PCs computers using windows XP.

There seems to be loads of ways to share an itunes library between PCs and users, but it seems that if you do as described here:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Apple/Hardware/iPODs/Q_22396227.html?sfQueryTermInfo=1+itun+librari+share

which , if I am correct, says to make a network share of your library and then point other PCs / other users on this machine to that shared letter.

but it seems that only one user can be in there at a time?  the other users get a message that the itl file is locked by another user?

ANd what caveats are there with sharing the library?  Sync only from the same PC each time?  If I rip a CD on machine A, will it show up on machine B's library, since they are (or I want them to be) the same library?  same for ripping on machine b and play it on machine A?

Answer : Problem: Itunes library sharing betweens users and PCs computers using windows XP.

warrenbuckles is right.

iTunes has 1 official way of sharing Music.  Everyone on the network can SHARE their library (from within iTunes Preferences) and other iTunes users can see all the shared libraries from within their copy iTunes and play those songs but cannot copy them to their PC or manipulate them.  The port 3689 MUST be open on your nework & PC to allow iTunes to communicate.

The other 2 options are
a. Sync Music Libraries
b. Share Music Libraries

a. Sync involves comparing 2 or more users Music Folders and copying music files from one to another .. this results in each user having a FULL copy of the music. After each Sync, each iTunes user would have to update their own Library file to add the new music to their iTunes Library

b. The other method is to have a communal music store, located on one users PC or a network share.  If all users have the share folder mapped as the exact same drive letter then it can be possible to duplicate the iTunes Library file from the primary user to all other users.
Where it can get complicated is if several users add music ... and each update their iTunes .. the last user to rebuild the library will have the most complete index. Therefore for a reliable solution you would need a synchronisation tool that compares all Library .ITL files and overwrites all the others with the most recent one.
I won't get into that one here but you'd need a good Sync tool .. alternatively each iTunes user could just update their Library file periodically to see any newly added music.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us